the green team
The Club Northwest GREEN TEAM supports responsible stewardship of our environment for the wellness of our members as well as our planet. Our commitment to wellness does not stop at personal physical health but rather it begins there. Wellness to us also means to support socially responsible activities to protect the health of our planet and facilitate an all around healthy lifestyle that is good for all of us. We are committed to this end, and are taking the lead by being an example to others in the business community.
Here’s a list of things that Club Northwest has done to further our commitment to have an environmentally business:
- On the last Friday of each month, deemed Green Day, employees and members are encouraged to wear green, (including the green organic cotton Club Northwest Cares t-shirts sold at the Club’s Pro Shop) and bring tips about helping the environment.
- In 2007, Club Northwest began purchasing 254 blocks of Blue Sky Block wind power each month. Over the course of a year, this Blue Sky purchase reduces carbon dioxide emissions by 305 tons, which has the same environmental benefit of planting 120 acres of trees or not driving 653,034 miles. This purchase also allowed Club Northwest to become a Green Power Partner with the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Salt water pools. The lap pool, warm exercise pool and jetted spa are sanitized using a system of electrolysis in which salt is converted to a simple form of chlorine and then back to salt water. The result is bacteria-free water that is kinder to the environment and the skin.
- Since 2002, the Club has used full spectrum lighting. Full spectrum lighting uses significantly less electricity than traditional bulb lighting and also simulates visible and UV spectrum natural sunlight.
- The use of earth friendly products. Almost all cleaning products used in at Club Northwest are biodegradable, as well as the locker room amenities, such as shampoo and soap. The on-site full service spa and hair salon, The Spa at Club Northwest, offers only botanically based products derived from natural sources.
- The billing system has been paperless for 9 years, saving cases of paper each year.
- Onsite aluminum, glass, plastic and paper recycling. Members and employees are requested to separate their recyclable waste from garbage and use the many conveniently located receptacles around the Club. The Club has seen a significant decrease in garbage since this program began.
- All drinking water is filtered using an NSA system. NSA water filters use multi stage carbon filtration to remove chlorine and toxins and deliver clean, safe and great tasting water.
- Our club vehicle is a restored 1980 VW Rabbit pickup, achieving 50 mpg using diesel and bio-diesel.
- Club Northwest hosts representatives from Blue Sky Power on a regular basis to sign people up for renewable energy for their own home or business.
What can you do? Remember a lot of small efforts by many people makes a huge difference. Never think your personal contribution is not significant. Visit The Practicle Environmentalist for more information today!